Saturday, June 20, 2009

Massage

I get bodywork once every two to three months. That seams to be the length of time it takes stress to sink it's way into my tissue and mess me up.  The modalities that I choose to receive are either Rolfing or Cranio Sacral. The person I receive Rolfing from was unavailable when I requested an appointment. I am new to Costa Mesa and do not know a reputable CranioSacral therapist, so I agreed to do a trade with a massage therapist near me. I've learned a very valuable lesson.
I want to preface my story with a plug on massage.
I use to be a massage therapist and I believe that massage is a very therapeutic modality. More people should seek out its relaxation and circulitory benefits.  I think it would help bring happiness and health to the country. With that said.........
I set up an appointment with a massage therapist, actually a trade. The massage was lengthy, lasting well over 90 minutes. It was an overall good relaxing massage, but honestly I should have told the therapist at times that the touch was too deep but I with-held and I paid for it the day after. I left the office feeling like I was on a cloud and there was a clear separation between myself and the world. I like to feel that way. But by the next morning I felt irritable, achy, feverish and like I would rather stay in bed than do anything.  
I spent the entire day listening to my body complain. Some would say that my body was processing out toxins. I am healthy and clean. I've spent the last 21 years healing the past in my body, mind and spirit. The idea of transference came into my thoughts more than once during that day, but I paid it no mind.
For twenty four hours I felt badly. My body began to loose adaptability and I was no longer able to find ideal posture in gravity. This progressed slowly and steadily over the course of seven days. I finely could not bear the direction I was going any longer and went in to receive a Rolfing session. It was while on the table receiving work that I realized, the healthier therapist heals the other; even if the more healthy of the two is the receiver.  
Holistic Practitioners provide a wonderful service to the world. Even when you have to listen to your body complain, see yourself slipping down the hill to learn one of the most important elements to bare in mind while facilitating healing for someone....Transference.  

No comments: